Sports Events Manager
Sporting events are back with an explosion of interest, and we have an extremely exciting opportunity for someone to join us as a Sports Events Manager. If you have skills in event management, planning, logistics and a passion for rugby and football you could be the person we are looking for. This is also a golden opportunity for someone who relishes the thought of combining their love of sport with their career on a daily basis!
You’ll be a key part of the team responsible for organising our annual portfolio of UK based, weekend long, youth football tournaments and rugby festivals. Welcoming entries from teams across the UK, you’ll build on our already strong reputation and programme of events, working as part of the team to fine tune and improve our existing programme as well looking for opportunities to set up new future events.
To hold a great event and see teams, managers, players and families enjoying themselves together both on and off the pitch along with the event ‘buzz’ that naturally comes with the tournament experience, makes the meticulous planning and preparation worth every minute.
The role is diverse and will change throughout the year due to the different phases of the annual event life cycle. September to December is the key sales period with all staff members helping to service client enquiries, ensuring customers are offered the most suitable option for their team. The confirmation of the finer arrangements for the events takes place during January to May along with the ‘hands on’ event management during the tournaments. June to September is spent confirming the larger contracts for the following year’s events.
Based at our Derby Head Office you’ll be working with a team of fellow sports enthusiasts in a vibrant and forward-thinking company.
We’ve been working in partnership with UK based teams, creating these amazing experiences for young people for over 30 years. We want to hear from people who believe they will thrive in this environment and are excited about the prospect of helping us grow.
Want to know more about this role?
Training and development
On joining us you’ll receive full training and support. We’ll also seize the earliest opportunity to get you out to see and experience some of our 2022 events which are due to take place between April and June. We know that the events we create are unique, so you can trust that we will fully support you in developing both your skills and knowledge throughout your employment with us. We aim to equip you with the confidence, ability and expertise to thrive and succeed in your events management role.
The person we employ will dictate the training. We appreciate that we will receive a contrasting mix of applicants from those who hold strong events management experience as well as those who may not have so much exposure but have a driven passion for involvement in football and rugby. We welcome applications from both.
On completion of your initial training, you’ll be handed the reigns to start work organising and developing our 2023 series of events. It’ll be an exciting time and we will look to you for new ideas and ways to improve and enhance our events.
This will involve:
- Overseeing and managing the annual organisation and logistics for a number of our annual tournaments and festivals.
- Sourcing and contracting suitable event suppliers and accommodation providers for each event.
- Compiling all the individual event costs to produce pricing that is both competitive and commercially profitable.
- Always looking for new opportunities to develop and enhance our portfolio of events.
- Ensuring a programme of entertainment including sourcing and contracting celebrity hosts!
- Liaising with host football and rugby clubs, ensuring we share a combined vision to create superb tournament and festival experiences for visiting teams.
- Ensuring we have a complement of fully qualified referees and fully briefed event staff to manage the event, fixtures and logistics.
- Hands-on event management of the tournaments and festivals themselves to ensure the events run smoothly.
- Working with our internal marketing department to ensure we have an agreed annual marketing plan that delivers the number of enquiries required to fill our events.
- Confidently taking calls and online enquiries from new and existing clients looking to take part in our UK events and festivals, providing advice and guidance on the tours and events that best suit their team’s needs.
Essential skills and experience
- A passion for rugby and football
- Excellent organisational skills, time management and attention to detail
- Good financial and commercial awareness
- Strong administration and IT skills
Beneficial skills and experience
- Experience of working in an events management role
- Working involvement in football and rugby
- Knowledge of the travel industry
- A basic salary of £25,000 – £35,000 (dependent upon experience) plus bonus and commission schemes
- 24 days holiday per year (increasing with length of service to a maximum of 27 days) in addition to all public holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Flexible hybrid working Programme
Good to know…
Sports Tours is part of the Rayburn Travel Group, made up of three businesses who specialise in creating travel experiences for youth groups. Explore our brands and learn more. We are all based at our HQ in Derby and are essentially one big family – there’s no doubt about it, it’s a great place to work…
Specialising in Educational Trips, Ski Trips and Sports Tours for schools, as well as Concert Tours for all types of youth and adult ensembles, we aim to inspire our groups to seek new adventures, embrace new cultures and learn new skills.
We take the greatest pride in creating exciting international trips for Scout, Guide and other uniformed groups. Giving young people the chance to learn about new cultures, face new challenges, build important life skills and boost self-confidence (all the while having fun in the great outdoors!) is what makes this more than just a job to us.
Kick-off was in early 1989! It all started with a passion to help sports teams enjoy great touring experiences in the UK and abroad – and that passion still remains over 30 years later!
Today, Sports Tours Ltd is one of the UK’s leading specialist sports tour operators, helping almost 20,000 players, coaches and their families enjoy unforgettable experiences in the UK and around the world every year.