Southport Rugby Festival
Taking place in the Merseyside coastal town of Southport, this rugby festival is a great opportunity for a short family break across the May Day Bank Holiday. Our host venue, Southport Rugby Club – one of the oldest Rugby clubs in the world – will see your team play up to 5 matches per day.
The festival is played on Saturday 29th – Sunday 30th April 2023 and will be split into two sessions per day:
AM Session – 9am – 1pm (approx times) – U7, U8, U9, U10 and U13 age groups.
PM Session – 12 – 4pm (approx times) – U11, U12, U14, U15 age groups.
- Mike Dale
- Matt Torr
- George Littlechild
- Tom Fowles
Administration: Sports Tours Ltd
Phone: 01708 565014
How to find the rugby club:
Address: Southport Rugby Club, Waterloo Rd, Southport PR8 4QN
On Arrival at the Tournament
- Please Park at TBC
- Those arriving by coach will need to be dropped off at the grounds as there is no parking for coaches at the festival venue. When leaving please obtain the mobile number of your driver and call him when you wish to be collected.
- Disabled parking: We will try to locate vehicles with disabled badges as near to the pitches as possible. To ensure we direct you to the car park nearest to your playing area, anyone requiring disabled parking should make themselves known to the car park attendant immediately upon arrival. TBC
- All teams must register at the Tournament HQ at least 30 minutes prior to your first game.
- Please make sure to provide the names and dates of birth of your players on the Sports Tours Hub prior to arrival.
- Please bring passports or photocopies with you – there may be “spot checks” and if players’ ages cannot be verified, the player in question may be suspended from playing.
Other Important Information
- Food & drink refreshments will be available at the festival grounds.
- Toilets are available onsite at Southport RFC
- Please do not drop litter or leave rubbish – take it home with you or use the bins provided.
- Limited changing facilities are available in the clubhouse. Please do not leave your belongings in the changing room as they are a shared facility.
- Showers are available at Southport RFC
- Tents and Gazebos are recommended but please do not put these up near the emergency access points and playing areas.
- We recommend bringing portable chairs to the venue. Please take them home with you after the event.
- BBQs or other cooking equipment are not permitted at the rugby pitches.
Sunday 30th April
After your matches have finished, the players will receive their awards at the rugby club.
There are participation awards for all age groups, and winners and runners up trophies for the U12s to U15s.
The awards will be presented by this year’s special guests, TBC.
Tour Kit – Halbro
We are also proud to be partnered with Halbro whose products are worn by many sports clubs, schools, colleges and Universities across the globe. We believe they are the best around and can provide the perfect addition to your tour! See the great discounts you can get just by booking with us.
Any enquiries or orders please contact them on the below details.
Please read the full festival rules and regulation which can be downloaded here:
- All games will be played in accordance with the rules set out in the RFU Regulations as they apply to each individual age group and the type of rugby.
- Within the “spirit of the game”, if a team is unable to field the maximum number of players for any one game, the opposing team should play with the same number of players on the field.
- Please ask your coaches and parents to assist by being ready for your next match 5 minutes ahead of the scheduled time.
- Players and supporters are required to abide by the RFU guidelines in relation to who is permitted onto the pitch
- The home team must provide the match ball
- U7 and U8: Sports Tours will not be providing referees for U7 and U8 fixtures. The “home team” shown on the fixture schedule will provide the referee / coach to officiate the game. If the home team does not have someone to officiate, then the away team should provide a referee. If no referee is available, the game will become void, and no points will be awarded.
- U9 to U15: Sports Tours will provide referees for U9 to U15 fixtures
- If, for any unforeseen circumstances, a referee is not available for a fixture then the “home team” shown on the fixture schedule will provide the referee / coach to officiate the game. If the home team does not have someone to officiate, then the away team should provide a referee. If no referee is available, the game will become void, and no points will be awarded.
Tag Rugby Equipment
- Those teams involved in tag rugby are asked to bring sufficient tag belts for their team to use in the competition.
- There will be no tag belts available at the grounds.
- Only players, coaches and authorised persons are allowed in the changing rooms. Teams should arrive ready to play.
- Drinking water is available free of charge from the designated area in the changing rooms and clubhouse. You can purchase drinks & food at the grounds.
- Emergency first aid will be provided; however, teams are expected to arrange transport to hospital or the medics will call 999 if required.
Please note that both team and action photographs will be taken throughout the festival and team photographs will be available to purchase on the day. Photographs will be available on the photographer’s website to purchase. Photographs may also be printed in the local newspaper and posted on websites or social media. Any teams/individuals who do not wish to have their photographs taken must make this known to the photographers and Event Manager.
Codes of Conduct
- Everybody attending the festival is expected to abide by the RFU Age Grade Codes of Practice, Regulation 15 (Age Grade Rugby), Safeguarding and Safeguarding Children Policy.
- The organisers reserve the right to ask anyone who is considered to be behaving in an inappropriate way to leave the festival. Their accommodation arrangements at the holiday centre will be terminated forthwith.
- Any behaviour falling below the standard expected by the rules and codes of conduct may be reported to the RFU.
- Referee and match official abuse will not be tolerated under any circumstances and will result in the individual/team/Club being asked to leave the festival and will be reported to the RFU.
Coaches and Parents
- Act as a positive role model to all young players.
- Be familiar with, and abide by, the RFU child protection guidance in relation to verbal and emotional abuse.
- Remember children play sport for their enjoyment.
- Acknowledge good individual and team performance from all youngsters irrespective of which team they play for.
- Respect match official’s decisions ‐ Remember, they provide an opportunity for youngsters to play and enjoy rugby.
- Never verbally abuse players, match officials, fellow spectators, or coaches.
- Acknowledge effort and good performance rather than the “win at all costs” ethic.
- Verbally encourage all youngsters in a positive way. If you do want to shout, make sure it is ‘for’, not ‘at’, the players.
- Condemn bad language, rude behaviour, and violence.
Sports Tours Rugby Festivals
All age groups will be played in accordance with the RFU age grade
regulations. Sports Tours continue to fully support the RFU in their
efforts to promote participation and fair play though their core values.
The RFU Core Values include; Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline
We would like to encourage all teams to be mindful of these values
whilst participating in our festivals.
U7 to U11
Mini Rugby will be non-competitive and no scores will be recorded or
displayed at the festival to encourage fair play and enjoyment.
U12 to U15
Competitive rugby will be played at all our events throughout the UK
where league tables and results will be displayed.
These age groups will play a round-robin league with no knockout or
The management committee will have the power to apply, act upon and enforce the Rules of the Festival and shall also have jurisdiction over all matters affecting the Tournaments, including any not provided for by the Rules. In the event of a dispute, only the team coach will discuss with the Committee.
Where is the venue and can we park onsite?
The venue is Southport Rugby Club, Waterloo Rd, Southport PR8 4QN
No parking on site however there is parking at TBC.
Matches will be played at Southport Rugby Club.
How many games will we play?
Each team will play up to 5 matches – the duration of the games depends on the number of teams in each age category. However, each team will play up to the maximum number of minutes per day, as stipulated by the RFU.
When do we play our games?
The tournament will be split into two sessions:
AM Session – 9am – 1pm (approx times) – U7, U8, U9, U10 and U13 age groups
PM Session – 12 – 4pm – U11, U12, U14, U15 age groups.
Exact fixture times will be available approximately 48 hours prior to the festival commencing.
Can we let you know our preferred session time?
Unfortunately, due to the nature of scheduling of pitches and age groups, we are unable to accept any preferred session requests for teams.
How can we check our fixtures and scores?
Sports Tours has its own online results page where you can view fixtures and track results (results are only available for U12 to U15 teams in line with Age Grade regulations)
*Please do not print out your schedule as it is subject to change dependent on late entries/withdrawals
What I.D do we have to bring for the players?
We ask that you bring RFU cards OR a photocopy of a passport for all players involved in the festival. Age checks may be carried at any point during the tournament.
Shall we bring both home & away kits?
To avoid kit clashes, we strongly recommend you bring both your home & away strips.
Do we have to bring rugby balls?
Yes please – the ‘home’ team for each match will be required to provide the match ball.
Do you provide referees?
We provide referees for U9 to U15 age groups. For U7 and U8 we ask the team coaches to referee the games (please see above in “Festival Rules & Regulations” for more details.
What footwear should players wear?
Matches will be played on grass , so it is recommended to wear studded boots, but players are welcome to wear alternative safe footwear as recommended by the RFU regulations.
Do we have to drive to the venue?
We highly recommend using the shuttle bus transfer that we offer due to no parking onsite.
What catering options are there?
There will be catering in the clubhouse. There will also be hot and cold refreshments available to purchase.
Will alcohol be served?
Alcohol will be served from the clubhouse and must be consumed either in the clubhouse or within the club boundaries.
Can we bring our own alcohol to the tournament venue?
As the club serves alcohol, alcohol is not permitted to be brought to the venue. It is not permitted to consume alcohol pitch-side.
Are dogs allowed?
Dogs are allowed anywhere but on the pitches.
Will there be a presentation?
Yes, there will be a presentation hosted at the Southport Rugby club once your matches are finished. This year, we are grateful to have TBC
Will players receive medals/trophies?
All players will receive a participation medal and there will be winners and runners up trophies for U12s to U15s. Those attending the presentation will be awarded their medals by TBC
What happens if a member of my group causes damage to the accommodation or the event site?
All damages should be reported prior to departure. The cost of any damage or compensation is the joint responsibility of all group members. It is for the service provider / host club / accommodation centre to reasonably determine the value of the damage or compensation. Any costs will be charged to your group and will be payable on demand. Where your group has paid a security deposit directly to the accommodation centre, any issues will be in accordance with their own policy.
Fixtures and LIVE results can be found on our dedicated hub. Please check fixtures on the day of the event in case of any last-minute changes or updates. NB the page is not currently live and will go live nearer to the event.
Let’s get social! #ST23
Our team will be out and about ‘tweeting’ and ‘posting’ all weekend, sharing all the fun and excitement at each of our tournament sites, so keep an eye on our social media channels. We would love to see what you and your team are getting up to, so be sure to share it with us by using #ST23.
Snap, share, win!
Snap away throughout the weekend and share your photos with us to be in with a chance of winning a £50 Amazon Voucher.
If you have any further questions not answered on this page, or our accommodation page, please contact our team who will be happy to help.
We look forward to seeing you at our 2023 Brean Sands Rugby Festival!